A lot of our climate change consulting falls under a general heading of technical advice.
Some of the work has been completed for Government, for instance the National Greenhouse Gas Inventory/ National Greenhouse Accounts, while other projects involved the creation of policy positions, development of calculators, undertaking reviews, conducting research etc.
Technical advice projects have included:
- Developed a greenhouse gas emissions calculator for client’s retail staff and potentially for their customers.
- Produced easily understood and justifiable text highlighting climate change performance for potential use in client’s publicity materials.
- Research and input into full fuel cycle comparison of buses using Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel or Compressed Natural Gas, focusing on greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants.
- Industrial Processes (IP) sector (Cement, Aluminium, Lime, Synthetic Rutile, Titanium Dioxide and Magnesia)
- Report and associated datasheets into IP emissions for the 2006 National Greenhouse Gas Inventory (NGGI) and 2007 National Greenhouse Accounts (NGA).
- Production data, emission factors and emission levels gathered and analysed at Federal and State level
- Review of the text and formula for IP for the NGERS legislative instrument.
- Specialist support on IP for the in-country review of the NGA conducted by the UNFCCC’s Expert Review Team following Australia’s ratification of the Kyoto Protocol.
- Review and data gathering for NGGI on:
- incineration of clinical waste and solvents in Australia
- industrial wastewater treatment and methane recovery across eight Australian agricultural processing and manufacturing sectors (Beer and Malt; Pulp, Paper and Paperboard; Sugar; Wine; Dairy; Fruit and Vegetable; Meat; and Poultry).
- Review of the performance of the Australian Government’s Greenhouse Allies climate change program.
- Sustainability assessment of five child care centres’ use of energy, water and chemicals plus their waste production and recycled product use.
- Undertaken on behalf of a Local Government.
- Involved developing data gathering processes including a comprehensive questionnaire, analysing the results, providing suggestions to improve sustainability and exploring the types of grants and rebates that are available to fund improvements to sustainability.
- Outcomes were used to identify feasible projects for each Centre and to support grant applications.
Policy advice has been provided to a variety of businesses and Government on climate change
- Electricity business advised on issues related to their emissions reporting under both NGER and Australia’s “carbon tax”.
- Peer review of report addressing future electricity prices and their interaction with climate change.
- Advice on the impact of the commencement of the “carbon tax” and its implications for a natural gas retailer.
- Peer review of report addressing biodiesel use as an emissions mitigation action.
- Advised water utility on issues related to its greenhouse gas emissions, abatement options and reporting systems and requirements.
- Presentation to company’s Board on their historical and projected emissions performance and electricity consumption for the supply of one of their services.
- Mapping of emission inventory sectors to align them with those used in Government climate change strategy and action plan
- Available information assessed, options tested and recommendations developed on the pathway providing the most consistent, coherent and repeatable approach.
- Examined the contribution of factors like electricity consumption patterns, network losses and the emission factor to the annual change in emissions recorded for sector.
- Defined principles, identified through a review of international and national literature, for setting sectoral emissions targets which were both functional and capable of being measured dynamically to ensure targets have meaning after several years.