Verified Carbon Standard
Beyond Neutral® sources high quality, accredited carbon credits from Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) carbon offset projects.
If price is a key determinant, VCS carbon offsets are often the lowest cost option but this doesn’t mean that they are low quality.
Verified Carbon Standard Features
VCS accredited carbon offset projects:
- meet accepted quality standards;
- are independently verified;
- are uniquely numbered; and
- are transparently listed in a central database (VCS Project Database).
VCS carbon offset projects create Verified Carbon Units (VCUs) for the voluntary carbon offset market. Each VCU:
- has a unique serial number,
- is listed in the VCS Project Database, and
- is able to be tracked from issuance to retirement.
This chain of custody ensures that all VCUs are:
- independently verified,
- unique, and
VCS Project Types and Benefits
VCS projects include:
- renewable energy (wind, solar, hydro, waste biomass)
- energy efficiency (industrial, household)
- land based activities (reforestation, stopping deforestation)
- capture and destruction of coal mine methane and other fugitive gases.
Many VCS projects create sustainability co-benefits so you can purchase carbon credits from projects which:
- improve local infrastructure (bridges, roads, electricity supply)
- improve access to medicines and education
- increase local employment and improve opportunities for local businesses
- reduce firewood gathering
- stop deforestation and habitat loss
- improve the living conditions of women and children.
Beyond Neutral® identifies each project’s sustainability co-benefits during the quoting process.